Friday 16 January 2015

Overcoming black and white thinking

The good, the bad and the ugly

One if the characteristics of borderline personality disorder is black and white thinking, and this is something I am very aware of in myself at the moment. When I first saw black and white thinking described in a book about BPD some time ago -- just like the other things on the list -- I was stunned. It was a revelation because it applied to so many of my feelings and actions, and grouped them in a clear pattern. I felt my self-knowledge deepened vastly that day and since them I have made a lot of progress in my recovery and how I interact with people.

But the challenges keep coming and on some days I have moments where I think that I ham running out of energy. It's tiring to keep toiling, to keep fighting against the turmoil that constantly wants to creep in and dominate my mind. I no longer have big, threatening worries like last year and the year before, and I am very grateful for that. This current anxiety is low-level but almost constant, bubbling away and ready to flare up when I am triggered, hungry or tired. 

If I look at myself with compassion for a moment, then I can see it is not surprising I still have all this anxiety and vulnerability. I have been struggling with anxiety, depression and mood instability most of my life, at least for as long as I can remember. This is so far just who I am, and meds can only control it up to a certain point. I have already made huge changes to improve my mental health, and I fully expect there will be more to come. 

This is a long-term project, I am fixing a whole person or at least making it easier for that person to live a fulfilled and happy life. 

It is also not surprising that I always feel this pull to seek answers or solace from my boyfriend. I don't want to burden him, and I know from ample past experience that it's not good for me to use my partner as a crutch. Also I don't feel quite present in the relationship at the moment. We had a crisis a couple of weeks ago, which is all resolved now to positive effect, but I haven't yet found the same space again that I shared with him before, that same sense of intimacy and joy and comfort I had in his presence before. Writing that it seems obvious that I will not find this same space again - things have changed, I have changed because that incident made me realise I had been thinking of him in that binary, idealising way again. The only way that makes me feel truly safe. 

But after our disagreement (outlined in a previous post), I have a more realistic image of him now. A whole person, who lives his own life, and who doesn't need or want to share every single thing with me. That is a good thing -but I am struggling to get used to it. I was always very black and white in my approach to people - good or bad, with nothing in between. In my friendships this meant I cut people off when I for some reason became angry or afraid of them. In relationships it made me blind to signals that someone was unsuitable, I idealised them, and we broke up I blamed them for everything and believed they were bad.

There is nothing about my boyfriend that makes him blatantly unsuitable, and it's good to know I like him for who he is. But at the same time, he is like everyone in this world in that he is a mix of good and bad. I have to be able to tolerate this, and not get scared or paranoid. Of course he can always hurt me, betray me, lie to me, but I am not a helpless child, not a victim at his mercy. 

After all, it's not like I am pure myself -  I am just like that too, capable of good but also bad, of being selfish and untruthful. Intellectually this was something I of course grasped before, but to feel it, to apply it, is another story. 

Wishing you good health and peace of mind, 
Rosamer 



No comments:

Post a Comment